Considering that Pokemon GO is not a real-time competitive game, it still managed to get its first and official Pokemon GO tournament happening at the 2019 Pokemon World Championships.
The upcoming event will be held at Washington, DC and the Pokemon GO tournament called Pokemon GO Invitational Tournament is one of the main highlights of the event.
Pokemon GO Invitational Tournament Players
The tournament will consist of eight players that will be battling to get the Pokemon GO glory. Right now, there are 7 confirmed players to be joining the tournament and the remaining slot will be given to one lucky Pokemon GO fan.
- Junichi Masuda (Director, Game Freak)
- Shigeki Morimoto (Game Designer, Game Freak)
- Poké AK
- One lucky fan!
Pokemon GO Invitational Tournament Rules
The tournament is not just a simple battle as players will be following some ground rules to win the title. Here are the rules of the event:
- Players will compete in a double-elimination tournament
- Each match will be best-of-five
- Battles will take place in the Great League with some additional restrictions
- Competitors must select a team of six Pokémon they’ll choose between for the entire tournament
- None of the six Pokémon may be of the same species
If you’re not going to attend the Pokemon World Championships, you can still watch the tournament at Pokemon Twitch Channel. The popular Pokemon GO trainer Trainer Tips and Aaron “Cybertron” Zheng are the commentators of the upcoming Pokemon GO Invitational Tournament. For more details, you can check this link.