To get back deleted messages on iOS 16 or later, you can tap “Edit” on the conversations page or “Filters” if Message Filtering was turned on. Then select “Show Recently Deleted” and choose the conversations you want to restore.
This feature is available on iOS 16, iPadOS 16.1, and later versions. It is important to note that messages can only be recovered if they were deleted within the last 30-40 days and cannot be restored if they were deleted before updating to the required iOS versions.
For iOS 10-15, you can go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings, then restore from a backup. If you are an iPhone user with iCloud, you can restore your device from a recent backup.
Alternatively, you can restore from an iTunes backup if you have been regularly syncing with iTunes on a Mac. If these methods fail, you can try using third-party apps like PhoneRescue or Dr.fone for iPhone.
On Android, you can use a third-party app like SMS Backup & Restore or FonePaw Android Data Recovery if you have no backup to Google’s cloud service. Regularly backing up your iPhone or Android device is crucial to avoid losing text messages.
- To retrieve deleted messages on iOS 16 or later, tap “Edit” or “Filters” on the conversations page, select “Show Recently Deleted,” and choose the conversations to restore.
- This feature is only available on iOS 16, iPadOS 16.1, and later versions.
- Messages can only be recovered if they were deleted within the last 30-40 days and cannot be restored if they were deleted before updating.
- On iOS 10-15, you can erase all content and settings in Settings > General > Reset, then restore from a backup or from iCloud if you have it enabled.
- If regularly syncing with iTunes on a Mac, you can restore from an iTunes backup.
- If all else fails, you can try using third-party apps like PhoneRescue or Dr.fone for iPhone on iOS, or SMS Backup & Restore or FonePaw Android Data Recovery on Android.
1. Recovering Deleted Messages On iOS 16 Or Later
If you have an iOS device running on version 16 or later and you accidentally deleted some important messages, fear not, as there are ways to recover them. Follow these steps to retrieve your deleted messages:
- Tap “Edit” on the conversations page: Go to the main conversations page in your Messages app and tap on the “Edit” button.
This will allow you to edit your conversations and recover deleted messages.
If Message Filtering was turned on, tap “Filters” instead of “Edit”: In case you had enabled Message Filtering in your settings, the option to recover deleted messages will be under the “Filters” tab instead of “Edit.”
Select “Show Recently Deleted” and choose conversations to restore: Once you have accessed the editing options, choose the “Show Recently Deleted” option.
This will display all the messages that have been recently deleted. Select the conversations you want to restore by tapping on them.
- Requires iOS 16, iPadOS 16.1, or later versions: It is important to note that these recovery options are only available for devices running on iOS 16, iPadOS 16.1, or later versions.
If your device is running on an older iOS version, please refer to the next section for alternative methods.
- Messages can be recovered within 30-40 days: The recovery feature allows you to retrieve messages that have been deleted within the last 30-40 days.
Beyond this timeframe, it may not be possible to recover the messages.
- Deleted messages cannot be recovered if deleted before updating to required iOS versions: If you have deleted your messages prior to updating your iOS to the required versions, unfortunately, it is not possible to recover them using these methods.
2. Restoring Deleted Messages On Older iOS Versions
If you are using an iOS device running on a version older than iOS 16, don’t worry, there are still ways to restore your deleted messages. Follow these steps:
Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings: On your iOS device, navigate to the Settings app and tap on “General.” From there, go to “Reset” and choose “Erase All Content and Settings.” Please note that performing this action will erase all data on your device, so it is crucial to have a backup before proceeding.
Restore from a backup: After erasing all the content and settings on your device, you will have the option to restore from a backup.
Ensure that you have a recent backup saved either on iCloud or iTunes. Choose the appropriate backup and follow the prompts to restore your device.
- Third-party apps for recovery: If you don’t have a backup or the backup does not contain the deleted messages, there are third-party apps available that can help you recover deleted texts on your iPhone.
Some popular options include PhoneRescue and Dr.fone. These apps provide additional tools and features to recover lost data.
3. Recovering Deleted Messages On Android Devices
If you are an Android user, the process of recovering deleted messages can be slightly different. Here are the steps to follow:
- Third-party apps for recovery: There are several third-party apps available for Android devices that specialize in recovering deleted messages.
Some popular options include SMS Backup & Restore, FonePaw Android Data Recovery, and MobiKin Doctor for Android. These apps can help you retrieve deleted texts even if you don’t have a backup.
- Back up regularly: To avoid data loss and increase the chances of recovering deleted messages, it is crucial to back up your Android phone regularly.
This can be done through the built-in backup feature on your device or by using third-party backup apps.
- Restore from backup: If you have backed up your Android device using Google’s cloud service, you can restore your device from a recent backup.
During the setup process of your device, you will have the option to restore from an existing backup. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the restoration.
- Restore from iTunes backup: If you have been regularly syncing your Android device with iTunes on a Mac computer, you can restore your device from an iTunes backup.
Connect your device to the computer and open iTunes. Choose the option to restore from the most recent backup and wait for the process to complete.
Recovering deleted messages from both iPhones and Android devices is indeed possible with the right tools and methods. However, it is essential to take precautionary measures, such as regular backups, to avoid the permanent loss of important text messages.
Remember, prevention is always better than cure.