As of May 3, 2023, the Cloak and Dagger achievement appears to be broken in recent releases of the game. This guide will demonstrate how to play an earlier version of the game where the achievement still functions properly.
An individual kindly provided me with a link that details how to roll back the code and play earlier versions of Steam games due to an unrelated issue with the current release of Mass Exodus. After examining the global achievements view, it became apparent that some players were able to earn the “Cloak and Dagger” achievement, indicating that it was functional at one point in time before becoming broken. Through trial and error, I combed through the different game releases until I found one that did indeed work.
Upon further reflection, I realized that this process is also fairly common knowledge within the Steam group “100% Achievements Group”.
Here is a brief overview of the steps involved:
- Use the Steam console to download an earlier version of Mass Exodus.
- Copy the files from the downloaded version of Mass Exodus into the game directory.
- Follow the necessary steps in the game to unlock the achievement.
Detailed list of steps:
- Press the Windows button and type “run”, then press enter.
- Type “steam://open/console” in the Run dialog box and press enter.
- In the Steam console window, type “download_depot 566530 566531 5857139468893347365” and press enter. This will download the November 28, 2018 release of Mass Exodus.
- The download may take some time to complete, but once it’s done, you will see a message that says “Depot download complete” and the path where the downloaded files are stored. Note down this path.
- Navigate to the downloaded files using Windows File Explorer and copy the contents of the directory.
- Open your Steam library and right-click on Mass Exodus Redux. Select “Manage” and then “Browse local files” to open the game files.
- Paste the copied files into this directory, overwriting all existing files when prompted.
- Launch Mass Exodus Redux from Steam.
- Play through a normal game and, as the rogue, activate your invisible power right before deactivating a switch.
- The “cloak and dagger” achievement should unlock immediately.
To get back to the latest working release of Mass Exodus Redux after earning the achievement using the earlier version, you can follow these steps:
- Open the Steam console again by typing “steam://open/console” into the Run window and pressing enter.
- Type the following command into the console and press enter: download_depot 566530 566531 5539609951378597983
- Wait for the download to complete. Once it’s finished, you will receive a console message saying “Depot download complete.” The downloaded files will be located in a directory that the console message provides.
- Copy the downloaded files and paste them into the game directory where you had placed the older version of the game files earlier.
- Launch Mass Exodus Redux from your Steam library to ensure that the latest working release is installed and functioning properly.
It sounds like the “Baby Steps” achievement may be a bit more difficult to obtain using this rollback method. However, you could try rolling back to the earliest release that included the playable tutorial, which is release 2930783884982460783, as you mentioned. If that version doesn’t work for you, you could try contacting the game’s developer or checking online forums to see if others have found a workaround for the issue with the achievement. It’s also possible that the achievement may be fixed in a future update to the game.