Sons Of The Forest – How to Easily Get the Shovel
A complete step-by-step guide that will show you exactly how to get a shovel in Sons of the Forest. Straight to the point and easy to follow.
To find the shovel in Sons of the Forest, you need the Rope gun and Rebreather. If you don’t have them, you need to get them first.
If you would like a more visual guide with step-by-step instructions, you can follow the video tutorial provided below:
Rope Gun Location
Go to the cave where the rope gun is located, as indicated on the map with annotations. The cave is located on a path next to a lake, to the west of the snowy mountains.
- Enter the cave and continue forward until you reach a large room filled with many cave cannibals. Be prepared to fight off a lot of enemies.
- Stick to the left side of the cave to find an opening that leads to a new pathway. Follow the path until you come across a passageway that is blocked by a mutant.
- To open the entrance, pick up the time bomb located on the floor to the right of the blocked passage and throw it at the mutant.
- Keep moving forward through the cave until you reach the first fork in the road. If you take the left path, you will come across a page with some lore, but if you take the right path, you will find the rope gun.
- Continue through the cave until you reach another fork in the road. The left path leads to a dead end with some materials to pick up, while the right path leads to the rope gun.
- Follow the right path until you reach a cliff where the rope gun is located inside a briefcase. Collect the rope gun and use it on the zipline to reach the exit of the cave.
To begin searching for the rebreather, go to the cave located on the coast. The cave is most likely located just past the first beach that you can see from your starting point. Make sure to head towards the coastline that is farther away, not the closer one.
- As soon as you enter the cave, you will notice scattered items and some light. You will also find an O2 canister that is used with the Sons of the Forest rebreather. These canisters are quite rare, so be sure to pick it up. There may be a couple more when you search for the shovel, but this could be the only one available initially
- Continue moving forward until the path drops down to a lit area with water and a rubber ring flowing around. Drop down and move cautiously as there are many enemies ahead. Try to avoid them as much as possible, especially the basic enemies and the giant mouth finger. If they see you, run away immediately.
- After a while, you will see a light ahead with more monsters, including basic enemies and a finger. If possible, try to sneak past them. If not, keep running. When you reach this point, you will need to make a decision. Take left for the rebreather.
Go to the cave that is located near the snowy area on the map.
- Upon entering the cave, use the rope gun on the light hanging on a rope with cloth. This will take you to an open area with clear water and an O2 canister by a light. Dive into the water and swim down the channel, following it until you resurface under where you started. Beware of the basic enemies when you emerge from the water. You can either retreat into the water to drown them or run past them to the exit they can’t follow you through. Look for another O2 canister here.
- Slide down the one-way slide and you’ll land in a safe area with supplies. Keep moving forward and kill the few well-spaced-out enemies in the narrow gap with a light ahead. Continue on until you see another light pointing the way forward. Take the tunnel to the next area with a light in the middle, where there’s a finger enemy and a couple of twins. Sneak as much as possible and be ready to run if caught. If fighting, use molotovs and retreat back to the narrower space to avoid being surrounded. The exit leads to an underwater section where monsters can’t follow, so running straight through is an option.
- After exiting the water, there’s a large group of enemies, including basics and a finger. Lure them to the water or use the stalactites on the right as a protective cage to damage them with a spear. Clear the enemies to safely move forward on the narrow path to the Sons of the Forest shovel. Deal with the various enemies along the way and look for the fluorescent strip lights to find the shovel. Retrieve it from the body in the light.